Tuesday, October 5, 2010

a visit to the dentist :)

Alhamdulillah, my minor oral surgery for extraction of tooth 48 (right third molar) went super fine. Thank you, thank you, thank you, Dr Hisham :)))


So it started with me waking up late. I slept late the night before because I was very nervous (not exactly afraid though :P). Well, not exactly late, my appointment was at 11am and I woke up at 10.30am. Then I searched for parking in front of our PPSG (Pusat Pengajian Sains Pergigian) bulding for ages! Can't believe at a rate of RM1.00/hour, the parking space is still full (it was not like this before)! "Aku kat Kelantan ke ni?", I asked myself, but this is actually an improvement. Pay a little for so much more :)

As I entered Klinik Pakar Pergigian (KPP), I beamed at Kak Nora (the staff nurse in charge of KPP) and Dr Hisham appeared through a sliding door with a camera hanging on his neck. Having a picture taken during a dental visit is the last thing I have in my mind. But oh well, syok sendiri rupanya, dia tengah ambil gambar procedure lain. LOL! Then I was told to get a drink because I haven't taken anything that morning because... I was... NERVOUS AGAIN. Haha.

Came back and he draped me. The scariest part of this operation must be when he covered my eyes with the draping cloth! The rest was A-okay :) I just hate the feeling of being totally out of control, that's why I hate not getting to see everything or feeling my own jaw. When he anaesthetised my nerves, obviously my right lower lip was numbed as well. I couldn't stop thinking of piercing it. Yes there were clunks here and there, screeching sounds as Dr Hisham cut through my bone, and the generally dreaded buzzing sound of the cutting handpiece as he was resecting my third molar in order to extract it easier, but I felt sleepy and rather calm throughout the operation. No palpitation or significant increase in heart rate. "Hey, this isn't bad. This isn't bad at all", I told myself. But after the anaesthesia wore off, my right jaw gradually feels pain, but I'm too lazy to eat painkillers although he prescribed me celecoxib, a selective COX-2 inhibitor. Nonetheless, he was kind enough to give me 3 days of MC! Weeeee~ but knowing myself, most probably I'll still attend Dato's seminar and follow-up certain patients, but I'll resume my rest after that. Hopefully my jaw won't swell much tomorrow and hopefully no infection will occur since I have a long case general medicine exam next week. A fever would be undesirable. So keep on putting clorrhexidine on the wound as well as taking my metronidazole antibiotic (Flagyl).

Speaking of which, my group members and I met a very very kind medical officer in ward 9, HRPZ II. He has just came back from Ireland and was kind enough to teach us so much. I couldn't welcome his generosity more since we're currently facing problems with long/short case teachings. Thank you, Dr :) I haven't known your name yet, and it's not good for a student to not know a teacher's name.

No comments: