Saturday, November 12, 2011

my happiness

My hand skills used to be very bad that denture-making and paediatric dentistry skill classes would be the thing I dreaded the most when I was in my second and third years of DDS. What more when I was involved in an accident during which I injured my left shoulder when the car back-flipped 4-5 times and my left hand was shaking for almost three weeks. So I forced myself to redo everything until the result is acceptable, at least to my own eyes. Until my hand skills slowly improved - but that didn't come easy. I cried almost everyday most probably because I was so disappointed with myself, not being able to produce good result when others' products seemed so much better.


Alhamdulillah, everything improved tremendously. Allah won't test you beyond your limit. Alhamdulillah again, I was granted a paediatric patient who initially came with such poor oral hygiene and so many tooth cavities, I had to reinforce her oral hygiene twice and finally, she became my very first patient to score such good result for oral hygiene three times in a row. She's even willing to walk all the way from her house to the clinic just to get treated - of which I'd be worried of her safety every single time. Last week, I received an invitation to her birthday party, but I wasn't in Kelantan. So I bought her a birthday present instead. Frankly, whatever she did for herself and me is way more than this little present. If only all paediatric patients have such good attitude, but I guess everyone comes with their own way of being brought up and genetic make-up. To learn to handle a variety of cases is crucial to shape us into becoming good dentists. She made my paediatric dentistry sessions so much enjoyable :) Thank you, dear patient.

2 comments:

Fred Collinsworth said...

I'm sure you'll be one of the best pediatric dentists in the country because you have a heart for kids. Don't worry about your hands because it will be steady again someday. You just have to let your hands work on your patients' teeth.

zahirah ardy said...

Thanks a lot, Collinsworth for the advice. Yes, my hands had gotten steadier now :)