Thursday, November 22, 2012

Kelantan roads

With my nephew, Ikhlas

It has been barely a week since I left home for Kelate (once again) and I'm already missing my nephew, Ikhlas, so badly. Anyway, Along came to Kelantan to get his teeth fixed by me apart from bringing his wife, Kak Sue, for some shopping here. Of course, two sessions aren't enough to fix everything, but I'm pretty glad I finished critical parts of his treatment. Ayah, Along, and I all love to speed when we drive. So while Along and I drove to Kota Bharu to pick up his stuff and Kak Sue before embarking to the airport, we were so frustrated getting trapped in traffic jams. 

Now, let me tell you what's wrong with the traffic here in Kelantan. People here love to procrastinate, be it their job and even on the road. When the traffic light goes green, they'd hesitate at just changing that fucking gear to D or gear 1/2, most probably because drivers from the other part usually go against red lights. So they sort of tolerate each other's error. I can't really blame them for disobeying the red light, because honestly, there are just too many fucking traffic lights and crossroads here. And why the fuck do I have to wait four freaking minutes at a traffic light at 1 o'clock in the freaking morning? Don't you customise your traffic lights? The reason is they don't have many flyovers that you can even count those using only one hand. True, two are in construction, but for fuck's sake, why the hell are those taking such a long time to be finished? Huge stone in the river and yaddah yaddah, they give you all sorts of excuse when those should've been foreseen by an engineer. Planning is something Kelantaneses are weak in. Just look at layouts of towns here. Roads are poorly constructed and maintained. There isn't even any arterial highway here. You only get parallel major roads here which at most will have two lanes per way. And I'm not sure what is exactly wrong with their finger that it's so so so tough for them to use the signalling light. Even if they use it, ie right signal, surprise surprise, fuckers, they're turning left instead. Dafuq?!

The dumbest thing in my opinion is having two shopping complexes constructed in front of a tertiary hospital. I once saw an ambulance rushing to HUSM through an opposite lane and drivers were panicking and swerved left and right just to avoid it. I can't blame the ambulance driver. Patients have a high chance of just dying in an ambulance because that thing always get trapped in this timeless congestion in front of HUSM. If I were the patient who's in an ambulance, trying to make my way to HUSM, I might as well just write my will before the ambulance arrives already. To make things worse, most people don't even give a shit when there's an ambulance. Its driver may honk as much as he wants, change between four different sounds of honk and people will just glance at it and give no shit. Why the fuck are you people doing this? Be civilised, for God's sake. I witnessed civillians even racing with ambulances a few times here. Why? Whyyyyyyyyyy????!! When it comes to getting their work done, still, they tend to procrastinate. They give you so many promises and they sure are good at breaking it. There are a few... very few of them that are actually pretty efficient when it comes to working but the rest - hands down, I gave up a long time ago.

So, dear Kelantaneses, I can't give less shit than I already do, if you feel angry when you read this, because you, sirs and madams, have a major attitude problem. Stop procrastinating. You're already so developed to still going slow-mo at every damn thing. You may call me 'budak berlagak KL' (fyi, I'm not from KL. I'm from Subang Jaya - PROUDLY!), but you're worse than me if you can't even recognise your problems.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In Japan, it is actually a part of the driving test for a candidate to wait first at the change of green and to observe left and right before proceeding ahead. This is actually the so called, " pemanduan berhemah adalah pemanduan untuk mencegah kemalangan tanpa mengira salah siapa " that u learnead at JPJ school before you are allowed to be behind the wheels ...

Kota Bharu is an old traditional Malay township, packed with people and their businesses when Subang Jaya was still a primary jungle. Newer townships are properly planned before people move in, unlike the pre-British traditional townships like KB and KT that have to be planned afterwards thus creating the so called "mess" you are saying there ...

The under construction flyover at Pasir Hor intersection is supposed to solve the congestion in front of HUSM upon completion ...

The flyover next to KB Mall is a Federal project, done by non Kelantanese contractors, and the lateness is influenced by bad contractors (politically picked) and bad managing skills of those issuing the contract from The Treasury at Putrajaya which I dont think they are Kelantanese ...

Talk about Kelantanese weak in planning .. now could you please describe to your dear readers the "amazingness" of Putrajaya's planning especially those concerning public carparks and the roads themselves ? And why should they have tonnes of nice bridges when the place was never a body of water before, when u know that there are still other parts of the country that badly in need of proper bridges ?

Ha ha ha ha

( Note that even the roads in Kelantan are divided into 2 jurisdiction, state and federal roads, well of course, the latter is never Kelantanese in planning )

I am no saying that you are wrong neither saying that you are right, the point is, doing some homework into such matters, might help you to see thru them clearer a bit, I think ...

Just my 2 cents ...

zahirah ardy said...

Thank you, anonymous. Please bear in mind that this is not an entry comparing Kelantan to other states or cities. I did not point out that Putrajaya is an amazing place, in fact I think there's abundance of unnecessary things being constructed there. Public carparks - this is a major disappointment and a failure in Putrajaya planning as it was supposed to be a place which is linked by monorails, hence explaining lack of public carparks (monorails were cancelled later). I will never say Putrajaya is a great place, especially when it comes to maintenance. Roads are poorly maintained there (I live in Nilai currently and I'm talking about roads connecting these two areas) and that place is dirty with dry leaves everywhere.

True, Subang Jaya was previously an estate before being made into a residency area while KB wasn't. Fair point there.

I understand the purpose of the construction of that flyover, however, I'm pretty sure it won't solve congestion problem in front of HUSM much as there will be bottleneck effect. That particular flyover ends in Pasir Hor which unfortunately is only one-laned and Pasir Hor itself is very congested during rush hours. The only flyover that in my opinion will benefit everyone is the one that is being constructed beside Sultan Yahya Petra bridge.

Regarding ethics and manners while one is on the road, no one can doubt that Kelantaneses have problem with these. Lack of giving signals, wrong utilisation of lanes, sudden brakes, basically there is a huge failure in having a sense of anticipation during driving. In my opinion, a driver may drive fast as long as he/she is within the speed limit and obeys road regulations, but having people who fail to obey them, eventually everyone's effort is hindered. I've been in places where their town-planning is worse, but I've never seen people driving worse than here.

When I mentioned about planning, it actually applies to all aspects. I faced a lot of problems with staffs here in my university as well as outside and yes, they are all Kelantaneses, but like I said, there are a few of them who are actually efficient and I do congratulate them for that.