Wednesday, January 9, 2013

kakak dan adik

I still remember my first time seeing her face when I was in my first year of DDS. Being a person who had never entered any boarding school, starting a conversation with new people was pretty tough. Yes, I'm a somewhat laid-back person. It's easy for me to join in a conversation but to actually open myself up, tell my deepest insecurities, those are totally different stories. I remember my old friend, Syawa, telling me, "You know what makes me want to be your friend? You pledge your loyalty for real. You're a very loyal friend". I don't easily pledge my loyalty to anyone. Somehow, I felt like this girl here, who was staying in the room opposite mine, is a trustworthy person. We're always competitive with each other. When it's just the two of us in a room, we'd talk about happy and sad stuff, discuss on the most recent lectures, but never badmouthing anyone - the exact reason I felt very comfortable with her. Although she was born exactly three months after me, she's much more matured than I am. It's always that way. Since most people see me playing that 'tough girl' role, having a person to whom I can show my weakness means the world to me. Almost every day, I'd rest my head on her lap, exchange stories with her. During my down days, I could just lean on her shoulder and cry shamelessly because whoever I turn out to be, she's always there, accepting me with opened arms. During my brighter days, she'd be by my side, listening to me playing my guitar. The sound I produce when I'm playing for a person I love is somehow different than the ones during my performances.

If there's one thing that I could do for her during those times, it's to cook for her. I'd give my all, making sure the meals I cooked would taste good for her.

When I was down with major depressive disorder, the only two people who stayed by my side were Jijah and her. During that time, I really lost my appetite. Eating was torturing. Without knowing the meaning of 'fed-up', she bought me food. Three times daily, but all I could do at that time was to just cry. The day she found out that my condition was really worsening and I might actually end up destroying myself to bits, I woke up to her crying on my bedside. I didn't want to seek treatment and she was the only reason I strove hard through those paces to see my psychiatrist. I was started on antidepressants and anxiolytics - the latter ended up giving me amnesia (not to mention MDD causes pseudodementia). I would forget whatever I learned although I read my textbooks repeatedly. My short term memory wasn't working well at all. Tirelessly, she rehearsed everything with me while holding my hands tight and kept saying, "Be patient, Z, you can do this. I'm here to help you". There was a time when I got sick of her persistence at cheering me up and I became grumpy and actually ditched her. All she did was to cry and tried to reason with me with things as if everything was her fault, but it never was. It was my fault. That very moment, I was deeply touched by her sincerity. The kind of sincerity you can't just find even after years knowing a person. "She's a keeper. She had never left you even when you were your worst. She didn't run away when you threw her away. She's really... she's the truest friend you can get. If you let her go, you will surely regret it", I whispered to myself. That day onward, I decided that whoever any of us turn out to be, I will still stay by her side. I will protect her with all my might. I will listen to her even during my mood swings. Truth to be told, up till today, I still feel like I don't deserve her love. Nevertheless, I just can't let her go. 

Two days ago, she came to Kelantan to visit me. The current me, I don't just throw aside my bedtime, but for her, I'd sacrifice anything without a second thought. Guess today I'm finally down with fever haha! I made a new friend. I call him Chef Nick and he's a superb chef seriously. He invited me to Haza Bistro, where he's working. Along with Minhui, EJ, and Fiza, I had my dinner there. I had the most beautiful dessert I've ever had and for that, I thank Chef Nick. 

That's my Fiza there :) 

Minhui, the coolest lady I've ever known so far, and EJ, the super adorable girl (also in the picture - the chocolate cake the super chef made me)

At Up2U Dessert Station, where we once hung out during our younger days haha!

This evening, before sending her off, again, I rested my head on her lap like those older days. Tears streamed down my cheek as I fumbled between words. I was desperate to tell her that I hate saying goodbye this time. I could only stutter while wiping my tears like a little child. I feel so blessed when she told me that her parents are adopting me into the family. My parents agreed. I was granted another sister.

No words can describe this thankful feeling I have to Allah for lending her to me. May she be under Allah's protection all the time. Thank you, Allah. Alhamdulillah. Subhanallah.

No comments: